Sunday, September 2, 2007

Skydiving!


What a beautiful, dangerous, enlivening experience. Truly, words cannot capture what this event was like... Skydiving, like nothing before in life, showed me the fleetingness of this experience we call "life".


As much as I loved this experience, and as much as it opened my heart and changed my perception on things, I realize just how dangerous this sport is: you are called upon using your wits at a time when the enormity of what you're experiencing (free fall at 120 miles/hour) totally blows the mind and blasts open the heart (the beauty and utter absurdity of it all). It's like being in the presence of God and then trying to remember an old phone number, with your life depending on you remembering the number before it's too late.


Upon watching the YouTube video, I've heard people tell me that they admire the courage it took to do this. I reply that to leap out of an airplane sometimes requires just as much courage as some of the other leaps we have to take in daily life... those leaps that involve faith, love, and trust in our dealings with friends, loved ones and business associates.

No comments:

Post a Comment